- Participation on monthly Emerging Leaders Academy class conference calls
- Timely submission of program-related homework assignments
- Attendance at the Emerging Leaders Academy Retreat in Kansas City, Missouri (November 7-9, 2019)
- Attendance at PWX 2020 in New Orleans, LA (August 30-September 2, 2020)
- Financial support from designated sponsor for attendance at PWX in New Orleans, in August 2020 (Note: this includes PWX registration fee, round-trip travel costs, hotel accommodations and meals).
- Completion of class project
- Member of APWA (if not a current member)
The deadline for receipt of applications and supporting materials for the next class (September 2019-August 2020) is August 2, 2019. Selected applicants will be notified by Friday, September 20, 2019. You can find more information about ELA and the application process at our FAQ.
A completed application includes five components:
- Current resume (no more than two pages long)
- Program Agreement Form, signed by the applicant, the applicant’s department or division head, and the applicant’s financial sponsor confirming support for attendance at PWX 2020 in New Orleans, LA.
- Letter of recommendation from a colleague in the public works profession (e.g., coworker, mentor, colleague from another organization, etc.)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s immediate supervisor
- A completed Application Form received on or before August 2, 2019.
Successful candidates have:
- Demonstrated a commitment to leadership in their organization and their community
- Sought growth in responsibility in their organization
- Envisioned a more significant leadership role in their organization and their community in the future
- Clearly defined goals
- A willingness to contribute to the success of the Emerging Leaders Academy class
- Submitted a complete application to be received by APWA no later than August 2, 2019.
For each successful applicant, APWA National will pay for all approved Emerging Leaders Academy-related expenses EXCEPT costs associated with attendance at PWX 2020.