In 2013, the Center for Sustainability (C4S) released a five-year strategic plan to guide its efforts and activities. In formulating the plan, the C4S Leadership Group identified that the building of sustainable communities is the greatest challenge to public works in the 21st Century and recommits APWA as an organization to the promotion and support of public works professionals’ efforts to advance sustainability in their communities.
In 2017, the C4S updated its strategic plan, redefining its objectives as follows:
- Develop and communicate the case for sustainability in public works to APWA chapters, members and the profession
- Develop the next generation of sustainability leaders
- Leverage existing APWA resources, programs and initiatives to integrate sustainability into public works
- Create, compile, organize and distribute information and resources that support public works professionals in creating sustainable communities
Want to learn more?
- Institutionalize sustainability principles and practices into APWA operations
- Advocate for community sustainability and the critical role of public works at the federal, state, provincial, and local levels