- Participation on monthly Emerging Leaders Academy class conference calls
- Timely submission of program-related homework assignments
- Attendance at the Emerging Leaders Academy Retreat in Kansas City, Missouri (October 26-28, 2018)
- Attendance at PWX 2019 in Seattle, Washington (September 8-11, 2019)
- Financial support from designated sponsor for attendance at PWX in Seattle, in September 2019 (Note: this includes PWX registration fee, round-trip travel costs, hotel accommodations and meals).
- Completion of class project
- Member of APWA (if not a current member)
The deadline for receipt of applications and supporting materials for the next class (August 2018-September 2019) is Saturday, August 18, 2018. Selected applicants will be notified by Friday, September 21, 2018. You can find more information about ELA and the application process at our FAQ.
A completed application packet includes five components:
- Current resume (no more than two pages long)
- Program Agreement Form, signed by the applicant, the applicant’s department or division head, and the applicant’s financial sponsor confirming support for attendance at PWX 2019 in Seattle, WA
- Letter of recommendation from a colleague in the public works profession (e.g., coworker, mentor, colleague from another organization, etc.)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s immediate supervisor
- A completed and signed Application Form received on or before Saturday, August 18, 2018. Applications may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to APWA, 1200 Main, Ste 1400, Kansas City, MO 64105-2100.
Successful candidates have:
- Demonstrated a commitment to leadership in their organization and their community
- Sought growth in responsibility in their organization
- Envisioned a more significant leadership role in their organization and their community in the future
- Clearly defined goals
- A willingness to contribute to the success of the Emerging Leaders Academy class
- Submitted a complete application package to be received by APWA no later than Saturday, August 18, 2018.
For each successful applicant, APWA National will pay for all approved Emerging Leaders Academy-related expenses EXCEPT costs associated with attendance at PWX 2019.