- Participation on monthly Emerging Leaders Academy class conference calls
- Timely submission of program-related homework assignments
- Attendance at the Emerging Leaders Academy Retreat in Kansas City, MO (November 11-13, 2021*)
*APWA Travel Policies permitting.
- Attendance at the APWA PWX (Public Works Expo) in Charlotte, NC (August 28-31, 2022)
- Financial support from designated sponsor for attendance at PWX (Note: this includes PWX registration fee, round-trip travel costs, hotel accommodations and meals)
- Completion of class project
- Member of APWA (if not a current member)
The deadline for receipt of applications and supporting materials is Friday, July 9, 2021. Selected applicants will be notified by Friday, August 20, 2021. Visit the FAQ page for more information about ELA and the application process.
A completed application includes five components:
- A completed Application Form
- Current resume (no more than two pages long)
- Program Agreement Form, signed by the applicant, the applicant’s department or division head, and the applicant’s financial sponsor confirming support for attendance at PWX
- Letter of recommendation from a colleague in the public works profession (e.g., coworker, mentor, colleague from another organization, etc.)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s immediate supervisor
Successful candidates have:
- Demonstrated a commitment to leadership in their organization and their community
- Sought growth in responsibility in their organization
- Envisioned a more significant leadership role in their organization and their community in the future
- Clearly defined goals
- A willingness to contribute to the success of the Emerging Leaders Academy class
- Submitted a complete application by the advertised due date
NOTE: For each successful applicant, APWA will pay for all approved Emerging Leaders Academy-related expenses EXCEPT costs associated with attendance at PWX 2022.