The purpose of the accreditation program is to provide a means of formally verifying and recognizing public works agencies for compliance with the recommended practices set forth in the Public Works Management Practices Manual. It is a voluntary, self-motivated approach to objectively evaluate, verify and recognize compliance with the recommended management practices. The objectives of the accreditation program are to:
- create impetus for organization self-improvement and stimulate general raising of standards
- offer a voluntary evaluation and education program rather than government-regulated activity
- recognize good performance and provide motivation to maintain and improve performance
- improve public works performance and the provision of services
- increase professionalism
- instill pride among agency staff, elected officials and the local community
about becoming an Accredited Agency through Self Assessment.