| Organization: ||
The City Of Phoenix
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
|| Post Date: || 08/26/2014 ||
Job Title: Assistant Public Works Director
Job ID: 11718
These positions direct a major functional area of the Public Works Department and manage highly complex and multi-disciplinary activities. The Department provides support to city departments and service delivery to Phoenix residents. Department resources include operating and CIP budgets exceeding $267M annually, and over 1,000 employees. Internal support functions include fleet services, facilities and energy management, and alarm services for a majority of city departments. The Department’s external service delivery includes solid waste collection service, which consists of contained and uncontained collections, landfill and transfer station operations, and recycling; and government and community relations.
The incumbent exercises considerable independence in working with division heads, managers of other City departments, as well as external stakeholders on problems relating to Public Works activities. Work involves representing all major program areas of the department in liaison activities and to coordinate special projects across divisions. Work assignments are broad in scope and require the use of independent judgment and initiative in making technical and managerial decisions of considerable difficulty. Supervision is exercised over Deputy Public Works Directors and other managerial and administrative staff. Work is performed under the general direction of the Public Works Director, and performance is evaluated through reports and conferences.
Currently two vacancies exist in the Public Works Department. Division assignments for each Assistant Director is subject to rotation and may vary based on organizational need and technical expertise of selected candidates.
First review of applications will occur September 15, 2014. Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$88,774 - $150,904 annually. Appointment can be made above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
QUALIFICATIONS – Desired qualifications include a minimum of:
• Five years of experience in facilities management, equipment/ fleet maintenance, solid waste services, civil engineering, or administrative services.
• Three years supervising professional and administrative staff; experience as a middle manager or executive is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, engineering, or a related field.
• An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
• Experience working with outside agencies, public/private partnerships, and inter-departmental coordination.
• Experience working with executive teams and elected officials.
• Experience working with diverse employee groups, labor unions and/or employee organizations to resolve employee issues and working conditions.
• City of Phoenix residency is required within 24 months after the date of hire and must be maintained.
Selection for position will be made following a resume screening and interview process of the highest qualified candidates.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at phoenix.gov/Jobs by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Center at (602) 262-6277.
Assistant Public Works Dir, 74820, ID#11718, 8/25/14, KP, Benefits: Executive
City of Phoenix employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.