| Job Ref: ||
Position No. 11024
|| Organization: ||
City of Riviera Beach
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$35,837 - $55,548
|| Post Date: || 08/15/2014 ||
This is skilled work at the journeyman level in the maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel powered automotive equipment, including heavy-duty construction, waste-transporting vehicles and other standardized, and specialized automotive equipment including emergency response vehicles. Mechanic is required to possess all skills necessary in the maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs highly skilled mechanical duties such as rebuilding engines and related components.
- Repairs and overhaul a variety of automotive and heavy equipment including passenger vehicles, light and heavy-duty trucks, excavators, front end loaders, sweeper trucks, vacuum trucks, emergency vehicles and related equipment.
- Performs major and minor motor repairs and replacement work; completely tune engines, adjusts and replace spark plugs and valves; install rings and bearings and make appropriate adjustments; overhaul and repair throttle bodies, minor transmissions repairs, rear axles, transfer cases and clutches; rebuild, repair and install electrical automotive components such as starters, electrical windshield wiper motors and emergency equipment such as, sirens, spotlights and other special installations.
- Performs a variety of skilled mechanical duties incidental to the repair and maintenance of automotive equipment; make road tests to locate defects in the operation and as a check on repair work before returning equipment to use.
- Complies with shop rules and regulations relative to safety precautions and elimination of hazardous conditions and fabrication.
Necessary Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the construction, maintenance, and repair of various types of automotive equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trades.
- Extensive knowledge of the tools, methods, and practices of a variety of mechanical trades.
- Extensive knowledge of and skill in the use of various types of shop tools such as drills presses, grinders, micrometers, brake relining and drum grinding machines and other tools necessary for the proper functioning of the position.
- Knowledge of standard automotive electrical systems.
- Ability to diagnose defects of all types of motors and other automotive equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret complex mechanical and electrical drawings and automotive diagrams.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with electronic diagnostic computers (portables), air conditioning recovery, and recycling machine.
- Ability to use automotive diagnostic tools (must possess own automotive tools).
Mandatory pre-employment physical and drug tests. Florida Drivers License Class “B” CDL required. The City of Riviera Beach maintains a drug-free workplace policy and program, as established under the guidelines of the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and Section 440.102, Florida Statutes.
Minimum Education, Certification, and Experience Requirements
High school graduation and extensive technical training in the automotive field. Seven (7) years of experience working on vehicles, heavy equipment, and light automotive equipment on the journeyman level or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Must possess own automotive tools. ASE certification(s) preferred.