| Organization: ||
City of Castroville
|| Job Category: ||
Director Public Works
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
|| Post Date: || 07/16/2014 ||
Applications Accepted: Open Until Filled
Submit resume, 5 professional references and completed employment application to Human Resources, City of Castroville, 1209 Fiorella Street, Castroville, TX 78009 or by email to email@example.com Employment application may be downloaded from the City’s website at www.castrovilletx.gov.
JOB SUMMARY: Manages and oversees the activities and operations of the Public Services Department that includes water distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, gas and electric utility services, street repair and maintenance; parks and animal control; prepares and administers departmental budget; coordinates activities with other City departments and outside agencies and performs other work related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The fundamental duties and tasks that define the job.
1. Manages and supervises professional, technical and administrative personnel responsible for providing utility services that includes: water distribution and wastewater treatment systems, installation and maintenance of gas and electric services, and other City services, such as street maintenance and repair; parks and animal control.
2. Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the efforts and results of supervisors and staff engaged in the maintenance and repair of the City’s public works, water distribution and wastewater collection infrastructure.
3. Monitors developments related to public works and utility matters, evaluates their impact on City operations and recommends implementation of policy and improvement procedures.
4. Develops specifications and bid document for a variety of public works and public utility related designs, construction and maintenance projects; recommends contract award, negotiates contract provisions and coordinates, reviews and approves contractor’s performance.
5. Monitors compliance with Federal, state and local safety regulations and standards.
6. Develops and directs the administration of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Public Services Department.
7. Represents the City and the Public Services Department and works closely with public and private official, outside and regulatory agencies.
8. Prepares and recommends long-range plans for City programs and develops specific proposals for action on current and future City needs.
9. Prepares, presents and administers the departmental annual budget.
10. Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquires and complaints.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Minimum requirements for formal education and job related experience. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution/college or university in Civil Engineering, Public Administration or a related field and 6 years of progressively responsible public works or utility management related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or related experience.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES: Utilized in the performance of the essential functions of the job.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities of a comprehensive public works program
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public works, municipal water and wastewater treatment systems
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws governing public works and utility services
- Knowledge of principles and practices of program management, development and administration
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budget development and administration
- Knowledge of strategic planning, goal development and team building
- Skill in communicating effectively with diverse groups of individuals using tact and diplomacy
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to develop clear, concise and comprehensive technical reports, correspondence and other written material
- Ability to represent the City in a professional and effective manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with Officials, co-workers, subordinates, general public, private and regulatory agencies
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Texas Professional Engineers License – Desirable
Equal Opportunity Employer