| Organization: ||
Village of Niles
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$50,865 - $68,408
|| Post Date: || 06/11/2014 ||
The Village of Niles is seeking a qualified and skilled applicant for the position of full-time Service Worker I/HVAC Technician in the Public Services Department.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Ensures proper and adequate installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair, of HVAC related systems including steam boilers, chillers, refrigeration systems, pumps, air compressors, blowers, fans, variable frequency drives, computerized maintenance control systems, and all other associated mechanical and electrical systems.
- Leads, participates in, and provides insight into the maintenance and improvement of HVAC and related system operations and work order management and preventative, corrective, and predictive maintenance programs associated with HVAC mechanical and electrical systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Programs, controls, and monitors all boilers, chillers, heat recovery, and multi-zone units, pumps, fans, refrigeration systems, and performs chemical testing on heating water in boilers/heat exchangers and water in cooling towers, chillers, and other plant systems. Programs and monitors occupied and unoccupied energy efficiency scheduling with HVAC, lighting, and other systems to optimize performance and savings.
- Leads a program that monitors, corrects and improves acceptable air quality in accordance with industry standards with emphasis on energy savings programs.
- Conducts regular preventive maintenance inspections of refrigeration units, isolated heating and ventilating units, including water heaters, gas and electrically operated air-conditioning equipment, and makes necessary adjustments or repairs; services and repairs evaporative coolers.
- Inspects, repairs, modifies and installs heating and air-conditioning and ventilation equipment, including refrigeration and air-conditioning compressors, receivers, condensers, chillers, water- cooling towers, forced-air converter units, pumps, automatic and hand valves, expansion valves and capillary tubes.
- Repairs or replaces defective parts in units and equipment and their controls, including thermostats, automatic switches, fan controls, log switches, damper motors, louvers, relays, filters, controls, belts, compressors, heat exchangers, high-limit controls, pressure controls, safety valves, and automatic gas valves.
- Lubricates and packs heating, ventilation, refrigeration and air-conditioning motors, pumps, fans and other equipment.
- Installs and calibrates systems; installs copper tubing and repairs pipes and tubing as necessary; tests joints and insulates pipes of refrigeration and air-conditioning systems; flushes boilers, de-scales tubing and cuts and threads pipes; rebuilds pressure and temperature safety valves and water pumps.
- Repairs and maintains furnace gas controls and engines, filters and condensing units; inspects, detects and repairs leaks; checks and replaces thermo-couples and pilot generators; cleans and adjusts pilots.
- Performs skilled electrical maintenance work in the repair, installation and alteration of HVAC-related electrical equipment, components, timers, motors and wiring systems as needed; connects meters to control panels and panels to power sources.
- Prepares cost estimates for projects and orders materials in accordance with established Village policies and procedures.
- Works from sketches, plans, drawings, blueprints and specifications.
- Follows safe work practices and procedures; ensures proper safety precautions are observed.
- Observes and complies with relevant federal, state and local codes.
- Manages HVAC system via Energy Management System applications.
- Operates a personal computer and other office equipment.
- Assists other crews as needed, including snow removal.
The ideal candidate will have a high school diploma or G.E.D supplemented by specialized training on computerized HVAC systems, a minimum of five years’ experience at a journey level in the installation, maintenance and repair of large complex HVAC systems is required including chillers, boilers, package units, VAV systems (direct digital, pneumatic and automated control systems), heavy rigging, pipe and steel fabrication experience. Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and computer skills are necessary. The duties of this job require physical activity with frequently lifting and/or moving up to 75 pounds.
- EPA Refrigerant Recovery Universal Certification
- Membership/certification from the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society
- Certification from Environmental Technical Institute for heating, air conditioning and refrigeration
- Certification for work as a pipe fitter
- Training certificate for steam boilers
- A valid State of Illinois Commercial (CDL) driver’s license and a good driving record Class B with airbrakes endorsement preferred and required within six months of hire
This is a union position and salary is commensurate with experience. The Village offers an excellent benefits package. Applications may be obtained in person or downloaded from the Job Openings page at www.vniles.com. To apply submit a cover letter and application/resume to Personnel Office, Village of Niles, 1000 Civic Center Drive, Niles, IL 60714. Email: email@example.com. Fax: 847-588-8051 by July 1, 2014.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Male/Female