04/23/14 11:59 PM
Plans, designs and manages public works projects in the Water Services Department. The focus of this position will be to provide civil engineering support to the Water Services Department, particularly with regard to process analysis and improvements for water and wastewater treatment. Other areas of concentration including groundwater pumping, water distribution and wastewater collection. The incumbent will be responsible for project development and execution in these areas.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
1. Plans, designs, coordinates and manages public works projects including capital improvement projects in the Water Services Department.
2. Oversees the administration, finance and monitoring of current and future reclamation/reuse plant projects and the City's future groundwater recharge projects.
3. Utilizing SCADA software, performs evaluations to assess treatment processes when necessary.
4. Leads efforts in developing design solutions for construction by City Crews.
5. Participates in the planning, design and implementation of the department's water, sewer and reclaimed water systems infrastructure improvements.
6. Manages the work of outside consultants; develops schedules for bidding and construction; selects bidders.
7. Approves payment to outside consultants and contractors.
8. Signs and seals engineering plans, reports, specifications and contract documents.
9. Prepares, and reviews project schedules; investigates, resolves and identifies priorities on Water Services Department projects.
10. Performs research, analyzes findings, and prepares recommendations for infrastructure planning needs.
11. Assists in the development of the division budget and capital improvement budgets.
12. Represents the Water Services Department on professional and technical committees.
13. Provides technical guidance for Engineers in Training.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or related field and three years of increasingly responsible experience as a professional engineer.
The theory, principles and practices of civil engineering
Project management and supervisory practices
Public works design, standards and construction and the methods, materials and techniques used in the construction of public works projects
City and state laws, ordinances and regulations governing municipal engineering
A city’s public works infrastructure
Basic contract law, bond and insurance requirements
Sign and seal engineering plans and documents
Read, comprehend and interpret complex engineering, hydrological and geological reports and surveys
Develop and monitor a project budget
Make decisions regarding project priorities, costs, and alternatives
Perform research, analyze findings, prepare and present reports to Department management.
Effectively communicate both orally and in writing
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the public
Operate a computer and engineering applications
Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Arizona at time of application
Valid Arizona Driver's License
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Most work is performed in a normal City office environment, with some work performed outdoors on site moving over rough terrain.
Lift or carry materials, plans and reports weighing up to 50 pounds.
Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a personal computer, telephone, calculator, copy machine, requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, eye movement.
Measure distances and quantities using various instruments requiring precise hand movements.
Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes and unpleasant but not hazardous odors.
Travel to/from meetings in various locations.
Operate a motor vehicle.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT:
5850 W. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85301
Position #2013 -00216
CIVIL ENGINEER - WATER SERVICES DEPARTMENT