| Job Ref: ||
|| Organization: ||
City of Alpharetta
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$42,000/yr. -- $75,650/yr. DOQ
|| Post Date: || 02/28/2014 ||
Under administrative direction of the Construction Manager, performs a variety of technical field and office engineering work involved in inspecting construction activities on assigned engineering/public works projects; ensures conformance with approved plans, specifications, and City standards; identifies erosion and sediment control violations for the City; investigates, inspects, and enforces state, federal, and City erosion and sediment codes; maintains records and prepares reports on projects inspected; provides information and assistance to contractors, developers, engineers, and the general public in person, by telephone, or in the field; and performs a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspects the construction, repair, and/or alteration work on assigned engineering/public works projects including streets, parks, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, parking lots, water and sewer systems, storm drains, underground improvements, street lighting systems, landscaping, landscaping irrigation systems, facilities, and other City capital projects; inspects materials, methods, and procedures for conformance with plans and specifications; enforces and observes testing of materials; reviews test reports; performs final inspection upon completion of project.
- Travels to and inspects private development construction sites for compliance with applicable erosion and sedimentation control, stormwater management, floodplain management, and public improvement ordinances.
- Meets and confers with representatives of utility companies, contractors, engineers and other public agencies regarding construction plans and specifications; investigates and attempts to resolve citizen complaints.
- Verifies proper maintenance and effectiveness of erosion and sediment control, at a minimum, weekly.
- Opens private construction sites; collects all paperwork and signatures from developer and owner; verifies compliance with NPDES permits.
- Answers questions, provides information to, and confers with property owners regarding project schedule, hazards, and inconvenience; schedules service interruptions with the least interference and least inconvenience to property owners; coordinates work with other City departments and utilities to resolve interferences and conflicts.
- Maintains records such as record of inspection, inspection log, verbal warnings, violation notices, stop work orders, etc.
- Takes appropriate action to resolve complaints and/or correct violations.
- Prepares and/or generates various records and reports including inspection log or record, start date, photographs, warnings, violations, stop work orders, etc.
- Operates basic field survey equipment to assist in the resolution of design and construction conflicts.
- Performs complex construction calculations for stormwater, street systems, asphalt thickness and base requirements, concrete quantities, elevation and slope requirements.
- Performs field verification of existing infrastructure and utilities; assists in the relocation of existing utilities on City construction projects.
- Verifies locations of utilities, easements and property lines on City engineered plans.
- Prepares sketches of design and construction conflicts from field conditions.
- Uses computer equipment including spreadsheets, database, and word processing software to generate construction reports.
- Takes, investigates, and finds solutions for Department of Engineering/Public Works’ complaints requiring field investigations.
- Performs field visits and conducts map/plan research regarding drainage complaint or private development sites.
- Completes inspections of City owned and maintained municipal separate stormwater system.
- Assists in preparing and processing progress payments for contractors; negotiating contract change orders and revisions to reimbursement agreements.
- Compiles detailed data on construction progress and inspection results including project punch lists; issues notification letters to contractors; maintains a variety of records and files; prepares various reports and logs on daily operations and activities.
- Reviews plans, specifications, contract documents, and other technical data to ensure conformance with City standard; recommends and/or makes changes as necessary. Receives and/or reviews various records and reports including erosion control plans, notice of intent, notice of termination, geotechnical reports, etc.
- Enforces and documents adherence to various environmental requirements.
- Responds to public inquiries at the front counter and over the phone in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Attends and participates in seminars, training sessions, and other meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in construction methods and materials; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
- Addresses public safety in construction zones; advises contractors of issues related to public safety; assists in detour planning, sign placement, and other traffic control measures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency supplemented by specialized training in public works inspection, construction, civil engineering, or a related field.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in construction, soil erosion and sedimentation control, construction site inspections, construction layout/surveying techniques, materials testing and construction plan and specifications interpretation.
- Possession of Erosion and Sediment Control Level 1B certification, APWA Public Infrastructure Inspector, and Georgia Department of Transportation asphalt, concrete or roadway testing certifications are preferred; may be required to possess additional certification(s) as deemed necessary by the department.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) employment application.
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 678-297-6041. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to: Kathy Bott, Human Resources Manager, City of Alpharetta, 2 South Main Street, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be received until March 14.