| Organization: ||
City of Boulder
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$22.78 - $36.45 Hourly
|| Post Date: || 01/09/2014 ||
Deadline to apply: 1/22/14
Under minimal supervision, performs combination inspections for projects within the scope of the International Building Code for the construction, alteration and/or repair of buildings and other structures to ensure compliance with adopted construction codes and ordinances, zoning regulations and project specifications and performs related duties as required. Performs plan reviews related to specific area of expertise if applicable.
1. Enforces the City's adopted construction codes including, but not limited to building, plumbing, mechanical, energy and electrical. This includes the following:
• Inspects all aspects and phases of building construction including structural, mechanical, electrical, energy and plumbing to ensure compliance with code and ordinance provisions and approved construction documents and site plans.
• Reviews for compliance and subsequent approval, those portions of submitted permit applications and construction documents relating to his/her specific area of expertise for conformity with City-adopted construction codes.
• Notifies permit applicants, contractors, and homeowners of code and ordinance violations relating to plan review and construction activities. Re-reviews plans and re-inspects construction work to ensure violations have been rectified.
• May suggest approved methods/materials and/or actions necessary to bring plans and/or construction into compliance with City-adopted codes and ordinances.
2. Maintains effective and diplomatic relations with property owners, contractors, and designers. Provides information and responds to questions and complaints as necessary.
3. Reviews and approves construction drawings and specifications for compliance with the building codes, and amendments to the Boulder Revised Code.
4. Maintains logs and records of inspections and plan reviews performed.
5. Assists inspection and code review staff in day-to-day inspection scheduling and resolution of building code issues.
6. Testifies in court cases involving violations of City-adopted construction codes.
7. Recommends appropriate revisions to City-adopted construction codes.
8. May perform inspections pursuant to City ordinance requirements related to zoning, signs, flood control, landscaping, and the Housing Code.
9. May conduct instructional classes on City-adopted construction codes or proctor contractor examinations.
10. Performs related duties as required by management to meet the needs of the City.
11. Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents; responsible for the safety of self, the public, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to City property.
12. Follows the "Rules of Engagement" for building inspectors and works in harmony with the goals, objectives and mission statement for the Planning and Development Services work group.
13. Responsible for knowing and complying with all City and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.