| Job Ref: ||
|| Organization: ||
City of Redmond
|| Job Category: ||
Water and Sewers: Stormwater
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$6,005/mo - $8,107/mo
|| Post Date: || 12/03/2013 ||
Department: Public Works
Closes: December 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
(Open to current employees and the general public.)
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION please visit our website at www.redmond.gov
Under the direction of the Maintenance Operations Manager, the Stormwater Operations Supervisor is responsible for directing the operation, repair and maintenance of the City’s stormwater conveyance system. The system supports a population of approximately 54,000 via 220 miles of pipe, over 10,000 catch basins/manholes, 100 ponds/bioswales, 215 underground detention vaults/pipes and currently in design is a stormwater quality treatment facility. This position manages employees, financial resources, equipment, and budget. This position also develops short and long-range strategic plans; and works with consultants, contractors and City engineers and staff to plan and implement capital improvement projects. Additionally this position coordinates with other City divisions for compliance with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program and Low Impact Development (LID), which govern stormwater functions, permits, discharges, and related environmental regulatory requirements.
The City of Redmond is committed to the principles of high performance and continuous improvement and to the following values:
Integrity: We demonstrate sound, honest, truthful and consistent actions.
Accountability: We take ownership of our actions and responsibilities.
Commitment to Service: We are dedicated to seeking solutions for our community.
For this position, the City is seeking a leader who will mentor and engage employees, and who will strategically align with the above principles and values, incorporating them in all aspects of decision making, operations and daily interactions.
· Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with City policy, ensuring alignment between the work program and City values and strategy.
· Schedules, executes, and monitors activities related to the operation, maintenance and repair of the stormwater system, including pump stations, vehicles and related system equipment.
· Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for the division; identifies and resolves problems; assigns work activities, projects and programs; evaluates the effectiveness of programs, policies and procedures.
· Develops standard operating procedures and implements policy and procedural changes.
· Ensures that equipment and materials are maintained and available; oversees purchasing.
· Responds to citizen concerns and issues; determines and recommends appropriate resolutions to maintain positive customer relations. Provides quality customer service in a timely, thorough and effective manner.
· Develops and monitors short and long-term strategic plans for the Division.
· Focuses on customer service and builds internal and external partnerships to accomplish departmental goals and objectives.
· Oversees the development and management of the Division’s data and records systems.
· Manages public information relating to wastewater issues.
· Develops, recommends and monitors the Division budget; performs cost control activities and monitors expenditures to assure sound fiscal control. Oversees capital improvement budgets for individual projects.
· Researches special projects, evaluates alternatives and prepares reports.
· Responds to emergencies as required and coordinates activities with other responders to provide effective response.
Knowledge of: principles and practices of supervision, including training, and performance evaluation; the strategies, structures and systems associated with high performing organizations; methods and operations applied in the planning, design, construction, operation, repair and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system; NPDES permit and LID requirements; personnel management; purchasing procedures and budget preparation; safety standards and regulatory compliance requirements; and knowledge of ARCGIS and asset management programs desired.
Skill in: communicating with employees, engineers, City administrators, and the public; effectively managing staff; training and mentoring employees; and using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and data management software.
Ability to: mentor, motivate and engage employees; align with the values, mission and goals of the City and with those of the Department; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, divisions, vendors, contractors, public officials and the general public; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; analyze data, measure results and generate reports; and plan, organize and schedule work assignments.
Education & Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to two years of college level courses in a related field and five (5) years progressively responsible experience in wastewater operations or related area, including at least three (3) years in a supervisory or lead capacity, or other closely related work experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to perform this job. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Licenses & Requirements:
Valid Washington State driver's license by date of hire, and a driving record that meets City standards.
Work is performed in an office environment with fieldwork required to review projects and oversee employees. May be exposed to inclement weather conditions, traffic, dust, noise, confined spaces, chemicals and physical hazard from mechanical and electrical equipment. Requires climbing, reaching, grabbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, and crawling and the ability to maneuver on uneven terrain. May be required to exert up to 50 pounds of force. Drives a City vehicle to conduct work. Subject to 24-hour emergency call out.
The City of Redmond provides a benefits package including: medical, dental and vision benefits; paid sick leave, vacation and holidays; retirement; and life insurance.
Applications will be screened and top scoring applicants will be invited to participate in telephone interviews. Finalists will participate in an assessment center. The pool of applicants identified through this process may be used for subsequent recruitments.
Candidates who are selected to interview will be required to complete a Background Authorization Form.
Public Works Maintenance
18080 NE 76th Street
Redmond, WA 98052