| Organization: ||
The Energy Coalition
|| Job Category: ||
Water and Sewers: Stormwater
Engineering and Technology
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
|| Post Date: || 10/07/2013 ||
Position: Assistant Director
Terms: Full-time Employee
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA
Compensation: Based on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Position is eligible for all company benefits
Reports To: Director of Programs
The Energy Coalition (TEC), a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation, designs and implements solutions to address today’s energy challenges. TEC has over thirty years of leadership in the field of energy efficiency. Our mission is to be the catalyst for communities to make accountable resource decisions for a sustainable energy future. We are leaders in energy efficiency education, energy policy and cutting edge energy saving strategies.
We are seeking an Assistant Director to manage the project team working on the public agency component of the Southern California Regional Energy Network (“The Energy Network”). The Energy Network is a new program, created by the California Public Utilities Commission and administered by the County of Los Angeles, that helps public agencies to save energy through retrofits to their facilities. The Energy Coalition is the primary contractor for the public agency program and has designed and implemented an innovative turnkey project delivery strategy that cuts in half the time to get to construction for a typical agency energy project. This cutting edge program has the potential to transform the way energy efficiency projects are realized in the public sector.
The Energy Coalition is looking for a seasoned expert in both project management and energy efficiency to lead the project management team based out of our Los Angeles office. The successful candidate will have the demonstrated ability to manage and train a team of project managers, provide technical and management expertise related to implementation of energy efficiency projects, and act as the key liaison for TEC with program stakeholders and clients.
This individual reports to the Director of Programs who is based out of TEC’s Oakland office. The position has primary working relationships with the TEC’s Executive Team, project management team, and technical/engineering firms. Outside of The Energy Coalition, the position interacts with the client (Los Angeles County) and public agencies being served by The Energy Network. This position requires regular travel around the Southern California region including the TEC headquarters in Irvine.
- Work closely with the Director in overseeing all aspects of the administration and implementation of the turnkey project delivery strategy and its related tasks and services.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management of Program Managers and Project Managers assigned to the project delivery team in such a way that mirrors the core values of the company.
- Provide guidance and support to Program Managers and Project Managers who are delivering energy efficiency retrofit services to public agency clients, including project management and delivery of technical assistance through outside consultants.
- Work closely with the Director to monitor program results and ensure quality standards are met, and develop recommendations to improve the program, as needs are identified.
- Work closely with the Director to establish performance goals, allocate resources and evaluate progress of team.
- Collaborate with TEC’s communications team on promotional efforts related to reaching energy efficiency goals.
QUALIFICATIONS - Required
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical or facilities) or other related degree (environmental science, energy management and design, energy and resources, etc.) with an emphasis in project management.
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years of experience in energy efficiency project management with demonstrated success, preferably in the public sector.
- Minimum of 7 years of managerial and supervisory experience, including employees at a manager level.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of energy efficiency retrofit projects, which could include the following measures: lighting and controls, HVAC equipment, street lighting, process equipment and systems (including pumps, fans, compressed air systems, boilers, furnaces, heat exchangers and process control systems) and complex central plant systems and building automation systems.
- Experience in analyzing energy consumption and potential energy retrofits in buildings of various sizes.
- Sound understanding of various types of HVAC, lighting, and building equipment.
- Experience with utility-sponsored energy efficiency incentive programs.
- Demonstrated success in working effectively with contractors and consultants as part of an implementation team.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems creatively.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and deadlines, as well as work independently and prioritize time effectively.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Valid Drivers License and State Mandated Vehicle Insurance.
- Active cell phone plan service.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in leading technical teams.
- Experience in training, developing and supervising personnel. The position will supervise multiple employees as assigned.
- Holds self and others accountable to established competencies for the organization.
- Experience in overseeing the design and production of project management systems.
- Experience with complex project management.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to lead others with focus, clarity and enthusiasm.
- Must be goal-minded and possess a self-starting drive to get the job done, primarily through other people.
- Ability to listen to others.
- Possess conflict resolution skills.
- Computer literacy in word processing, CRM databases, Google Apps (Docs, Calendar, GMail) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project)
- Strong oral and written communications skills. Proficient in English (verbal and written).
- Protect the confidential nature of the work, as appropriate.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
QUALIFICATIONS - Desired
- Graduate degree in a related field.A proven track record in the energy engineering field.
- Certification in energy management, auditing, commissioning, modeling, automation, or other building energy related field, a plus. Examples include: Certified Energy Auditor, BSME, Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Procurement Professional (CEP), Energy Engineer, Energy Manager, Engineering Design, Facilities Engineering, Planning & Design, Professional Engineer
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must have finger dexterity for typing/using a keyboard.
The work environment characteristics are normal office conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TEC offers a competitive beneﬁts package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with partial employer matching; 9/80 work schedule with paid holidays and 120 hours of paid time off.
To apply for this position, submit your letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
To learn more about The Energy Coalition, visit www.energycoalition.org.
The Energy Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to reﬂect the diverse community it serves.