Vacancy has expiredShow me jobs like this one
|Organization:||City of Janesville||Job Category:||Other||Job Type:||Full Time||Country:||USA||State/Province:||Wisconsin (WI)||City:||Janesville||Salary and Benefits:||competitive||Post Date:||09/12/2013||
POSITION: Assistant Operations Director
DEPARTMENT: Operations APPROVED: Sept. 9, 2013
Under general direction, provides administrative and operational support to the Operations Director in planning and directing the safe, efficient, and effective operation of the Public Works – Operations Division.
Reports to: Operations Director
Supervises: As directed by the Operations Director, supervises all administrative staff within the Division. At times may have direct supervisory responsibility for field staff, particularly during snow and ice control operations.
Has work contacts with City elected and appointed officials, Public Works Department staff and employees, Department head and Division heads of the Public Works Department, Union representatives, contractors, suppliers, vendors, and general public.
1. Assists in performing administrative functions, including preparation of annual division budget, control of expenditures within approved limits, personnel administration and training, safety programs, and research and preparation of regular and special reports.
2. Provides general operational support to the Operations Director; assists in planning, developing, scheduling, and documenting the maintenance and repair of streets, collection and disposal of wastes, landfill operations, construction and maintenance of storm sewers, fleet maintenance, department inventory and other office and facility operations.
3. Researches and prepares reports as directed, including cost estimates, project cost management, equipment maintenance schedules, preliminary plans and specifications, contract and bid documents.
4. Act as project manager on division special projects; may provide related staff support to City Council and/or various ad hoc committees.
5. Reviews and, when necessary, recommends revisions to plans and specifications for all supplies, materials and equipment to be used on various jobs.
6. Supports Operations Director on matters of hiring, disciplining, evaluating, promoting, adjusting grievances or discharging employees of the Operations Division.
Responds to requests for department information and assistance from the general public and outside agencies; follows-up on complaints and inquiries.
8. Inspects the various jobs in progress from time to time and recommends improvements in practices.
9. Supervises record keeping functions and ensures reports are correctly prepared.
10. Other duties as assigned or required.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or related field.
2. Minimum of three (3) years Public Works administration experience preferred.
3. Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern public administration and public works operations.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City elected and appointed officials, Public Works Department staff and employees, Department head and Division heads of the Public Works Department, Union representatives, contractors, suppliers, vendors, and general public.
5. Thorough knowledge of personnel administration, labor relations, budgetary and financial management, safety, purchasing, and grants management.
6. Ability to organize, plan, research projects and programs, make recommendations, and successfully implement once approved.
7. Ability to operate personal computer and utilize Microsoft Office applications.
Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form.
Ability to effectively respond to inquiries and complaints of the general public.
EQUIPMENT, INSTRUMENTS OR MACHINES:
Fairly good working conditions involving occasional exposure to adverse weather conditions.