| Organization: ||
City of Vancouver
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$3871 - $4949
|| Post Date: || 08/15/2013 ||
The City of Vancouver is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Engineering Technician in the Engineering Division within the Public Works Department. This position perform a variety of complex and difficult technical engineering design, drafting and permitting work; and to provide assistance to higher level engineering staff.
- Senior Engineering Technician is a full-time, regular, non-exempt position and is covered under the provisions of an agreement with the City of Vancouver and Local 11, OPEIU. Regular City employees in this position are required to pay union dues.
The candidate for this position must be able to:
- Apply survey information to create designs and drawings for various engineering and planning projects including base mapping, sanitary sewers and presentation layouts related to the City’s Sewer Connection Incentive Program.
- Respond to customer and public inquiries and complaints; explain and interpret codes, policies, standards, fees, and procedures to members of the public, contractors, engineers, architects and other public or utility organization employees to resolve problems, improve their understanding of City programs and to ensure adherence to procedures in complex technical matters. Attend community and neighborhood meetings related to the program.
- Research utility requirements for new developments and existing services; review utility plans from consultants and engineers. Conduct research of ownership, legal descriptions or other such data needed to complete information required in preparation of Public Works Capital Improvement Projects.
- Through independent, onsite visits, collect field data, verify conditions, note potential or developing problems, make recommendations and carry out other duties related to field visits. Drive a city vehicle in a safe and appropriate manner in order to travel between various assigned worksites.
- Participate in the preparation of documents and related procedures relative to Public Works Capital Improvement Projects including public meeting information, plans and bid documents. Coordinate public works projects with applicable city, state and federal officials and other relevant agencies and parties.
The candidate for this position shall have:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Education equivalent to an Associate of Arts/Science degree from an accredited college with major course work in engineering or a related field;
- One (1) year of AutoCAD Civil 3D with work including pipe networks is required;
- Two (2) years of increasingly technical engineering experience is required in sanitary sewer engineering or related discipline;
- Basic skills in Geographic Information Systems;
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Outlook, Work and Excel;
- Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D as it relates to the design of pipe networks;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the principles and practices of civil engineering;
- Materials, methods, safety standards, and techniques related to sanitary sewer construction;
- Terminology, methods, practices and techniques of drafting, computer aided design, and geographic information systems;
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Review and prepare accurate engineering records;
- Communicate policies and procedures to contractors, property owners and parties of interest;
- Clearly present technical information in oral, written and graphic forms; speak in front of groups; cope with conflict and disgruntled customers;
- Read and interpret various kinds of maps, engineering drawings, construction plans and other technical materials and documents, such as specifications, engineering manuals, survey information, computer manuals, engineering code provisions, state and federal guidelines; learn and apply local, state and federal regulations;
- Perform civil engineering design and drafting work;
- Use computer aided drafting (CAD) equipment;
- Work independently in the absence of supervision;
- Interpret and apply federal, state and local policies, procedures, laws, codes and regulations;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate good judgment and decision making;
- Perform work in accordance with sound safety practices;
- Operate a personal computer and appropriate software;
Possession of, or the ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
The ability to successfully pass pre-employment reference checks.
The ability to successfully pass a driving abstract.
Meet the basic qualifications expected of all job applicants:
- A stable and verifiable work history;
- A record of regular and verifiable attendance;
- A professional, well-groomed appearance;
- Strong communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills
Individuals are expected to work in a manner consistent with the City of Vancouver's Operating Principles; Work and act as a team player in all interactions with other City employees; Provide a high level of customer service at all times; Project and maintain a positive image with those contacted in the course of work.
This announcement is meant only as a general descriptive recruitment guide. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and is not a complete description of the job.
TOBACCO FREE/DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER