| Organization: ||
City of Dickinson
|| Job Category: ||
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
North Dakota (ND)
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$65,000 - $75,000, plus benefits
|| Post Date: || 08/13/2013 ||
The City of Dickinson, ND was voted #1 for the Top Ten Best Small Towns by Livability.com. We are the second fastest growing small city in the US and have a vibrant and booming economy due to the energy and oil industry.
Temporary Housing Available.
Summary: Plan, direct and manage City street construction, repair, and maintenance projects including snow removal, and fleet maintenance.
- Plan, organize, and implement street maintenance and repair programs and activities including coordination of projects and project schedules, on-site inspections of repair and maintenance projects, and evaluation of project performance.
- Coordinates, manages and provides input into City snow removal plan and street cleaning policies.
- Assist in the development of the Street Department budgets and monitor expenditures to ensure the operation remains within approved appropriations. Assist in the preparation of capital improvement projects and the analysis of such projects.
- Supervise employees, assign work, and provide work direction; make recommendations relative to hiring and firing, and employee evaluations.
- Advise and make recommendations to the Director of Public Works regarding the proper and efficient operation of the Street Department including cost and operational analysis, required levels of employees’ equipment and material, development of performance standards, and the establishment of divisional goals and objectives.
- Prepare, review and recommend specifications for bids relating to tools, materials, and equipment. Recommend the disposition of City property assigned to the Street Department and maintain the annual inventory of all public property of the division.
- Ensure that all complaints regarding street operations are handled in an appropriate manner. May represent the Public Works department regarding street projects at various meetings.
- Oversee the acquisitions, distribution and usage of all fuel; and ensure accurate data is processed in the fuel and fleet management system.
- Develops in accordance with departmental needs, vehicle specifications; works with other city departments in procurement of vehicles and equipment to include evaluating bids and recommending bid awards.
- Administers the development, implementation and monitoring of cost effective methods for parts procurement, material, tools, equipment, fuel and maintaining parts inventory control.
- Perform other such duties and functions as are necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering methods, practices, and costs relating to street repair, maintenance, and construction.
- Knowledge of light and heavy equipment.
- Ability to effectively write bid specifications.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of computers and software relating to Public Works management.
- Ability to read and comprehend maps, diagrams and regulations.
- Knowledge of city geography and street locations.
- Knowledge of environmental standards and compliance requirements.
Education And Experience:
Bachelors degree in construction management, engineering, or business management and five to seven years progressively responsible professional and supervisory experience in municipal public works administration or engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License
- North Dakota Class A Commercial Driver’s License with tanker and air brake endorsements. Restriction 7 (not authorized for tractor-trailer) is acceptable.
- Road Scholar II Certification preferred.
- Forklift Certification – within 90 days of hire
- Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, driving, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Incumbent may be required to work overtime, weekends and holidays; in all weather conditions; under hazardous conditions; on congested roadways, obstructed roads, high structures; around operating equipment; in a noisy environment; with chemicals; and with the physical ability and stamina to perform strenuous physical work associated with roadway maintenance work. Most work will be performed outdoors.
- Incumbent may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, body fluids, chemicals, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions and intense noises.
- Incumbent may be subjected to exposure to hazardous substances and the danger of death or disabling injuries due to exposure to the traveling public. Protective measures will be taken to protect employees but the traveling public does not always see or follow these measures. Incumbent must be aware at all times of the possibility these hazards.
- Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of forces constantly to move objects.
To Apply: Apply online at www.dickinsongov.com, or by mail at 99 2nd Street East, Dickinson, ND 58601. Please attach detailed resume. Position closes 8/23/13 at 5:00 pm.