| Organization: ||
City of Toronto
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$77,113 - $95,622
|| Post Date: || 06/19/2013 ||
If you’re a quality-focused team leader with project management experience in an engineering, land surveying or IT environment, join the City of Toronto’s Engineering & Construction Services Planning & Programming unit in one these opportunities.
As a Project Manager in Engineering, Data and Systems Support, you will provide project management and information technology expertise for, and lead the implementation of, Engineering and Construction Services information technology projects, including computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), land surveying, project tracking, document management, etc. To this end, you will lead multidisciplinary project teams made up of consultants, assigned staff as well as client and stakeholder representatives to deliver and implement assigned projects. As Project Manager, you may also direct and review the work of assigned staff and will be accountable to the Project Sponsors for project delivery within defined parameters.
Your primary responsibilities as a Project Manager in one of these non-union positions will be varied. Managing and leading assigned projects from inception to completion, you will:
• Participate in, and carry out, varied assignments within a broad field of engineering, surveying and construction information technology and data solutions.
• Assess funding, schedule and scope requirements, develop Terms of Reference, fully define project deliverables and manage change conditions.
• Ensure effective teamwork, communication, high standards of work quality, organizational performance, documentation and continuous learning.
• Assist with, and conduct, research, ensuring that best practices, developments within the field, corporate policies, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government are taken into account.
• Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks.
• Implement quality control and quality assurance, finalize contract payments and ensure that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budgets.
• Supervise and direct project team members, consultants and contractors.
• Provide specialized design services, technical advice and expertise to support Division, Cluster or Corporation units.
• Modify established guidelines, standards, systems and processes, devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in innovative ways and draw conclusions from comparative situations.
• Identify and evaluate issues with assigned projects, and provide technical expertise and recommendations for their resolution.
• Ensure compliance within guidelines by acting as a signing authority.
• Participate in meetings with stakeholders, including acting as a technical specialist in project and organizational meetings with administrators, contractors and other external service providers.
• Lead the review of drawings, purchasing documents, project plans and specifications prepared by staff, contractors and consultants, and prepare Committee and Council reports, presentations, purchasing documents, contract plans, specifications and estimates.
• Evaluate proposals and/or bids, and make recommendations for the award of contracts.
• Maintain relationships with consultants, government agencies, suppliers and contractors related to your responsibilities.
• Analyze business processes and related systems and data to enable continuous improvement and control measures for quality, efficiency and effectiveness of services, and formulate recommendations.
• Review and analyze new technologies and best practices for use in existing or future service requirements.
• Produce, or supervise production of, all required documentation and ensure proper maintenance.
• Participate in studies, analyses, surveys and research, and help develop effective solutions for complex problems while controlling measures for service quality, efficiency and effectiveness.
• Promote standardization related to project administration, documentation, processes and technical or system design.
• Participate on assigned cross-divisional projects.
• Help develop business requirements and agreements for service or process re-engineering, systems development, deployment and support.
Your application for the role of Project Manager must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
• Experience applying Engineering and data management principles as related to job duties.
• Project management experience in an Engineering, land survey or Information Technology environment as related to job duties.
• Knowledge of legislation related to the position, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Proficiency using general computer software, including Microsoft Windows XP, Excel and Word.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills at all organizational levels, including the ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
• Interpersonal and team skills with the ability to work collaboratively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
• Ability to provide work direction to staff, with an understanding of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
• Ontario Certified Engineering Technologist and Technician Certificate (OACETT) or equivalent, an asset.
• PMP certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI), an asset.
• A valid Ontario Class G driver's licence and daily access to a vehicle may be required, in order to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely, efficient manner.
Salary range: $77,113 - $95,622 per year
Imagine working for the city you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.7 million people. Toronto is dedicated to developing customer service excellence and creating a transparent and accountable government. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Project Manager within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/employment. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #1807462X, by July 2, 2013.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.