| Organization: ||
City of Toronto
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$77,113 - $95,622
|| Post Date: || 06/17/2013 ||
Opportunities are available with the City of Toronto for engineering team leaders whose project management experience is combined with registration or eligibility for registration with PEO as a Professional Engineer.
As an Engineer in a Capital Works Delivery unit, you will provide project management, contract administration, technical and engineering expertise in the planning, design and construction of multidisciplinary capital works projects, including roads, sewers, watermains, TTC tracks, and water, wastewater and solid waste treatment facilities. In the role of project manager, you will oversee, review and direct the work of staff and engineering consultants, and prepare bid packages to engage consultants and contractors.
As an Engineer in the Planning and Programming unit, you will provide project management, contract administration and technical expertise in the planning and preliminary design of linear capital infrastructure projects, including roads, sewers, watermains and TTC tracks. The role of Engineer will see you planning and coordinating the capital projects with respect to project stakeholders, overseeing, reviewing and directing the work of staff and engineering consultants to complete the planning and preliminary design projects, and identifying scope, cost and timelines.
Your primary responsibilities as an Engineer in one of these non-union positions will be varied. Specifically, you will:
• Manage assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and related data maintenance.
• Prepare Requests for Proposals, evaluate bids, arrange for purchases, and monitor outcome.
• Ensure that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget, assist in preparing capital and operating budgets for assigned projects, and project scope and financial impact of projects and proposals.
• Prepare and inspect drawings, engineering studies, specifications, plans and cost estimates pertaining to construction projects.
• Provide technical advice, review and expertise, and utilize standard engineering principles and practices to assist in the operation, development and maintenance of works infrastructure and related services.
• Prepare engineering analysis, as well as evaluate and recommend new systems, work procedures and technologies with the potential to improve divisional performance.
• Carry out varied engineering assignments within a broad field of engineering.
• Formulate design concepts for engineering problems, set scope and parameters of design projects, and test and implement design concepts to meet functional requirements.
• Conduct studies, surveys, research and development for the effective solution of engineering issues, initiate and lead technical studies and projects, and direct project team staff to ensure that timelines are met.
• Secure all engineering permits and approvals required from external agencies.
• Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of technological developments in the field of engineering.
• Represent the City on committees, attend meetings and provide input.
• Liaise with the media, the public, developers, consultants, stakeholders, councillors, other divisions and government agencies about projects, programs and developments.
• Conduct research into assigned areas, taking into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
• Plan, investigate and prepare reports and recommendations concerning moderately complex engineering problems and/or assist senior engineers in resolving more complex problems, using a combination of standard procedures, a modification of standard procedures and/or methods developed in previous assignments.
Your application for the role of Engineer must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
• Registration – or eligibility for registration – as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
• Experience applying the principles of Engineering as related to job duties.
• Project management experience in an engineering environment related to job duties.
• Knowledge of legislation related to the position, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Proficiency using general computer software, including Microsoft Windows XP, Excel and Word.
• Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
• Ability to plan, organize and coordinate projects and meet required timelines, including the ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of staff.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills at all organizational levels, including the ability to communicate technical information effectively to a non-technical audience.
• Highly developed interpersonal and team skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external clients and stakeholders, including contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants and developers.
• Understanding of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
• Valid Ontario Class G driver's licence and daily access to a vehicle, in order to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely, efficient manner.
Salary range: $77,113 - $95,622 per year
Imagine working for the city you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.7 million people. Toronto is dedicated to developing customer service excellence and creating a transparent and accountable government. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as an Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/employment. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #1802824X, by July 2, 2013.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.