| Organization: ||
City of Toronto
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$89,502 - $111,020
|| Post Date: || 06/17/2013 ||
Opportunities are available with the City of Toronto’s Capital Works Delivery and Planning & Programming units for Professional Engineers with PEO registration and extensive engineering project management experience.
As a Senior Engineer in a Capital Works Delivery unit, you will provides project management, contract administration, technical and engineering expertise in the planning, design and construction of large, complex capital works projects, including roads, sewers, watermains, TTC track, bridges, retaining walls and water, wastewater, and solid waste treatment facilities. Acting as a project manager, you will oversee, review and direct the work of staff and engineering consultants and prepare bid packages to engage consultants and contractors.
As a Senior Engineer in Engineering, Data and Systems Support, you will provide project management and information technology expertise for Engineering and Construction Services IT projects, including computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), land surveying, project tracking, document management, etc. As a Senior Engineer, you will deliver and implement assigned projects by leading multidisciplinary project teams made up of consultants, assigned staff, and client and stakeholder representatives. As a project manager, you will oversee, review and direct the work of assigned staff and consultants.
Your primary responsibilities as a Senior Engineer in one of these non-union positions will be varied. Specifically, you will:
• Be responsible for project management of ongoing or annual city wide engineering programs, special projects, engineering proposals, Capital Works Program, Best practices and other program development and new initiatives.
• Identify, evaluate and provide technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues, compliance programs, prosecutions, property, by-law, environmental and risk management issues and public safety in compliance with City policies and by-laws, ensuring compliance within guidelines by acting as a signing authority.
• Manage assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
• Advise on drawings and specifications prepared by staff, contractors and consultants, and co-ordinate activities of field supervisory personnel.
• Prepare Committee and Council reports, presentations, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for tenders, evaluate tendered bids and make recommendations for award of contracts, finalize contract payments and implement quality control and quality assurance for construction.
• Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks.
• Lead multidisciplinary project teams and supervise or direct other professional engineers and technical personnel.
• Participate in preparing capital and operational budgets for assigned projects, and deal with complex cost-sharing arrangements for the construction of municipal infrastructure.
• Represent the Division or City at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors, and the Division as a technical specialist at project and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, contractors and other external service providers, as well as at Ontario Municipal Board hearings, court proceedings and other tribunals.
• Ensure that project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
• Secure permits and approvals required from external agencies.
• Perform site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects.
• Conduct technical problem investigations and participate in conducting studies, analysis, surveys, research and development for effective solution of complex engineering problems.
• Establish and maintain linkages to other City units to co-ordinate input and ensure effective partnership.
Your application for the role of Senior Engineer must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
• Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
• Extensive experience applying the principles of Engineering related to job duties.
• Extensive project management experience in an Engineering Environment related to job duties.
• Extensive knowledge of legislation related to job duties, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Proficiency using general computer software, including Microsoft Windows XP, Excel and Word.
• Ability to read, interpret, and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports and other documents in a timely manner.
• Highly developed ability to plan, organize and coordinate large, complex projects.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including communicating technical information to a non-technical audience.
• Highly developed personal, interpersonal and team skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
• Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of assigned staff members, and considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
• Valid Ontario Class G driver's licence and daily access to a vehicle, in order to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely, efficient manner.
Salary range: $89,502 - $111,020 per year
Imagine working for the city you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.7 million people. Toronto is dedicated to developing customer service excellence and creating a transparent and accountable government. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
For more information on these and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/employment. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #1802829X, by July 2, 2013.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the City's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.