| Organization: ||
City of Carpinteria
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$70,191.52 - $96,514.02 plus comprehensive benefits
|| Post Date: || 06/05/2013 ||
Applies knowledge to plan and design civil engineering projects. Responsible for acquiring and analyzing data used on projects including feasibility studies and cost analyses. Prepares or guides preparation of documentation for projects. Participates in testing of materials and reporting on properties and results. Visits project sites and provides direction on construction and maintenance operations. Coordinates activities with other departments and outside contractors. Supports public works staff and ensures established goals and deadlines are met. Keeps Director of Public Works/City Engineer informed of status and significant problems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Performs civil engineering work including the planning, design, preparation of drawing, specifications, contractor’s bids and estimates for a variety of public works improvements.
- Serves as a construction manager/resident engineer when needed on City projects.
- Supervises a staff of sub-professional personnel and consultants.
- Performs contract administration duties.
- Coordinates preparation of plans, specifications and estimates and sets up bid and construction schedules for City capital improvement projects.
- May represent the Director of Public Works/City Engineer at various community meetings, workshops and the City’s boards, committees and councils.
- Writes and reviews conditions of approval and inspects private development projects.
- Researches, collects, organize, and analyze technical data used in planning and designing civil engineering projects.
- Analyzes data including reports, maps, test results, and photographs outlining information about soil composition and other environmental and geological data necessary to design and implement projects. Draws appropriate conclusions.
- Oversees materials testing for durability under varying stress, temperature, weather, and geological conditions.
- Researches similar projects and records relevant data. Conducts courthouse and historical research as needed.
- Directs preparation of necessary reports, schedules, or plans detailing data and results of tests conducted at project sites, and in computer modeling scenarios. Utilizes past experience and historical data as appropriate.
- Researches applicable building codes, regional regulations, and safety requirements.
- Uses design software as needed to prepare necessary specifications and designs.
- Oversees the application of collected data in all stages of engineering projects.
- Determines cost and feasibility of projects based on collected data, knowledge of engineering principles, and advanced mathematics. Makes accurate estimates.
- Projects quantities, profile specifications, and dimensions of materials for projects.
- Oversees surveying crews at construction sites, monitoring conformance to safety standards and project specifications.
- Participates in municipal meetings and approval processes.
- Participates in budgeting and bid processes.
- Develops good working relationships with government agency representatives, outside contractors, and the general public.
- Evaluates plan changes from developers and contractors.
- Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication, coordination, and working relationships with area staff.
- Keeps superiors informed of significant problems and of progress attained in reaching established objectives.
- Answers questions and concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinates planning and construction activities with the City’s operation goals and meets established timelines.
- Coordinates project activities with other departments and outside agencies.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Keeps current or new engineering developments, methods, and techniques.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Attends and participates in meetings and professional conferences as required.
- Education/Certification: College degree in civil engineering or related field.
- Must be a registered Civil Engineer in the State of California or have the ability to obtain registration within six month.
- Registration as California Traffic Engineer a plus.
- Required Knowledge: Understanding of Company operations and needs.
- Knowledge of municipal approval process.
- Thorough understanding of civil engineering concepts.
- Experience Required: 5 years of progressive experience.
- Skills/Abilities: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exercise independent judgment
- Well organized.
- Able to manage and coordinate subordinate personnel.
- Good communications skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office and engineering software).
Incorporated in 1965, the City of Carpinteria (pop 14,000+) is an inviting seaside community with an abundance of natural beauty and small town charm. Located in Santa Barbara County adjacent to Highway 101, the City is located 12 miles south of Santa Barbara, CA, 12 miles north of Ventura, CA and 80 miles north of Los Angeles, CA.
Situated between the mountains and the coast, residents and visitors enjoy over 275 days of sunshine a year and average daytime temperature between 68-80 degrees. Carpinteria is an outdoor enthusiast's playground. Rincon Point is recognized as one of the finest surfing spots in the world. Beautiful beaches, a community swimming pool and picturesque parks and trails provide activities for every interest.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a letter of interest, resume and a completed City Employment Application (E-MAIL SUBMISSION IS PREFERRED)to:
5775 Carpinteria Avenue
Carpinteria, CA 93013
Fax# (805) 684-5304
The final filing date for this position is Sunday, June 30, 2013.
A COMPLETED CITY EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION IS REQURED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
The City will not pay for relocation expenses.