Vacancy has expiredShow me jobs like this one
|Job Ref:||SMW||Organization:||City of Walnut Creek||Job Category:||Other||Job Type:||Full Time||Country:||USA||State/Province:||California (CA)||City:||Walnut Creek||Post Code:||94596||Salary and Benefits:||$51,492 - $62,059||Post Date:||06/03/2013||
CITY OF WALNUT CREEK invites applications for the position of: Street Maintenance Worker
An Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY: $51,492.22 - $62,059.14 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 06/14/13 05:00 PM
Do not reply to this ad. All applicants must apply online at www.walnut-creek.org to be eligible for consideration.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please DO NOT CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES. Due to the anticipated high volume of applications, we are unable to accept telephone and email inquiries. Please review the information provided below to answer your questions. All applicants will receive an email notification from information@GovernmentJobs.com with their application status at the close of this recruitment. Thank you for your cooperation.
The City is currently seeking to fill two Street Maintenance Worker positions in the Street Maintenance Division of the City’s Public Services Department.
Under general supervision, Street Maintenance Workers are responsible for the maintenance, repair, construction, street sweeping, and cleaning of City streets, curbs, gutters, storm drains, rights-of-way, and similar facilities.
Other responsibilities may include crack sealing and asphalt patch repairs, setting out safety cones and barricades, and directing traffic at work sites; operating dump trucks spreading gravel; repairing damaged sections of curbs and sidewalks; and cleaning storm drains; operating dump trucks, jackhammers, backhoes, asphalt rollers, Hydro vacs and other equipment used in street and drainage maintenance work.
The work involves considerable physical exertion, including heavy lifting. Most work is performed outdoors and involves exposure to the hazards associated with working around traffic and heavy equipment.
Graduation from high school, as well as a minimum of two years experience in street construction, maintenance, or repair work; or equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
Possession of, or ability to obtain prior to employment, a valid Class C California Driver’s License and a good driving record is required.
Possession of, or ability to obtain during the probationary period, a valid Class A California Driver’s License and a good driving record is required.
Confined space entry certification, safety in work zones and flagging certification, and forklift certification may also be required.
Employee is required to perform after-hours emergency work, call-outs, and weekend work as needed.
This position is subject to DOT requirements, including random drug testing.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, tools, power equipment, and light automotive and related equipment applicable to the area of street construction, maintenance, and repair.
Knowledge of concrete finishing and repair and asphalt overlay.
Knowledge of practices and procedures used in weed abatement, and catch basin and drain line cleaning and maintenance.
Knowledge of the occupational hazards and related safety precautions.
Knowledge of practices and procedures of traffic control.
Knowledge of applicable traffic laws and the ability to operate light motorized equipment skillfully and safely.
Skill in the use of tools and equipment common to street maintenance work.
Skill in communicating effectively in English both orally and in writing.
Ability to read and interpret drawings and blueprints.
Ability to perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled construction, maintenance, and repair tasks.
Ability to learn to operate heavy motorized equipment skillfully and safely.
Ability to effectively utilize computer applications and technology related to the work.
Ability to perform heavy manual labor.
Please see the class specification at www.walnut-creek.org for a complete description of this classification's representative duties, requirements, working conditions and physical requirements.
All applicants must apply online at www.walnut-creek.org by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 14, 2013 to be eligible for consideration.
Applicants possessing the MOST DESIRABLE qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process, which will include a written examination tentatively scheduled for Saturday, June 29, 2013 and an appraisal interview tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, July 17, 2013. An eligible list will be established as a result of this examination process and will be valid for a period of six months.
All applications will be notified by email as to whether or not they are invited to participate further in the selection process. In addition, applicants can log on to their account and check their current status online.
Applicants considered for appointment to this position will be required to undergo a comprehensive medical exam and a pre-placement drug screen and will be subject to a thorough background check, including California DOJ fingerprinting.
If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the examination process, please provide the Human Resources Division with advance notice and every attempt will be made to consider your request.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.walnut-creek.org
City of Walnut Creek
Street Maintenance Worker Supplemental Questionnaire
1. Graduation from high school or equivalent is required. Please check your highest level of academic achievement.
2. In addition to the educational requirement, a minimum of two years of experience in street construction, maintenance, or repair work is required. Please check your level of experience.
3. Please check which valid CA Driver's License you possess.
Class A CaliforniaDriver's License
4. Please check any areas in which you have experience. (Check all that apply)
5. Please indicate what equipment you are proficient at operating in the list below. (Check all that apply)
6. Which certifications do you possess? (Check all that apply)
Confined Space Entry Certification
7. If you answered 'Other Certification' in question # 6, please indicate which certification(s) you possess.
8. This position requires a 'good driving record'. The DMV standards set forth by the City ofWalnut Creekinclude no DUI's or suspensions/revocations within the past seven years and no more than three 'routine' violations within the past seven years. Do you meet this requirement?
9. Street Maintenance Workers may be required to perform after-hours emergency work, call-outs, and weekend work. Are you available to work after-hours and/or weekends, if necessary?
10. The tentative date for the written test is Saturday, June 29, 2013, and for the oral board interview is Wednesday, July 17, 2013. Due to brisk time frame for this recruitment, short notice from Human Resources may occur. If invited are you available on these dates?
11. Only applicants who are invited to participate in the oral board interview, tentatively scheduled for July 17, 2013, will be required to submit a current DMV printout (certified 10-year driver license record obtained from the DMV). I understand that, if invited to the written test, I must provide a current DMV driver license record printout to Human Resources before admittance to the oral board interview. (Please note: Applicants not meeting the City ofWalnut Creek's definition of a 'good driving record' will be disqualified and will not be able to continue in the selection process.) Applicants are NOT required to submit a copy of their driving record with their application.
12. Please describe any work experience that you possess that relates to the position of Street Maintenance Worker. (Limit your answer to one paragraph.)
13. Describe what deficiencies you would look for when evaluating the condition of a street. Please also include specific recommendations for treatment of each type of deficiency. (Limit your answer to one paragraph.)
14. Describe what process you would use if you were asked to remove and replace a flag of concrete in a residential neighborhood. (Limit your answer to one paragraph.)
15. All notifications from Human Resource will be sent via email and originate from: info@GovernmentJobs.com. I understand that it is my responsibility to check my email account and spam filter frequently for application status updates and notifications.
* Required Question