The Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) announced on February 26, 2015 that the Grand Bend Area Wastewater Treatment Facility, located in Ontario on the shoreline of Lake Huron, earned the Envision® sustainable infrastructure rating system’s Platinum award. This project is the first ISI Envision verification in Canada, and first wastewater facility to be ISI Envision-verified in North America.
Key sustainable features include:
- a constructed wetland to support native wildlife species and further buffer treated effluent,
- flexible design that makes the facility responsive to changing sewage flows,
- reduced construction and operational costs through a focus on efficiency,
- constructing the project within the boundaries of the original facility’s footprint to protect prime farmland, and
- trails and interpretive signage to encourage community visitors.
More information about the project can be found on ISI's website: